How to Register

First Time Examination

  • Applicants for architectural registration must be of good moral character
  • Obtain a professional degree in architecture from a program accredited by the National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB)
  • Complete the NCARB Intern Development Program (IDP)
  • Pass the Architect Registration Examination (ARE)

Out of State

    Louisiana issues reciprocal licenses to architects who are registered to practice in other states through NCARB only. Go to and log on with your NCARB file number then choose reciprocity and request transmittal of your certificate to Louisiana. When completing your request for transmittal of your license you should also complete the Uniform Application for Architect Registration (which is on NCARB's website) and send it directly to the Louisiana State Board of Architectural Examiners, 9625 Fenway Avenue, Suite B, Baton Rouge, LA 70809 along with the appropriate fee.


    Individuals who have allowed their registration to lapse must accurately fill the form below and return to the LSBAE administrative office.
    Individual Delinquent Renewal Form

Disciplinary Actions

    For an individual architect (whether in-state or out-of-state) practicing architecture in Louisiana without timely renewing his or her license, a fine should be assessed against that architect after his or her license had expired for more than 90 days in the following amounts:
    Amount Period of Unlicensed Practice
    $500 For practicing architecture with an expired license for more than 90 days from license expiration but less than one year.
    $1000 For practicing architecture with an expired license during the second year.
    $1,500 For practicing architecture with an expired license during the third and every subsequent year.